Thursday 4 October 2012

Cupcake decorating with kids

Today was one of those fabulously memorable days.  A day I will look back on with fond memories.  Six of the neighborhood kids came over and we decorated cupcakes.

It all started a few weeks ago when I suggested to my seven year old neighbor girl that we should have a cupcake decorating afternoon during the school holidays.  She promptly sat down with my 3 year old and they constructed invitations and brought them to all of the kids in the street.  My daughter was incredibly excited and has talked about this coming event ever since.

Last night I was still slightly unclear about what to have the kids make as I had a range of ages from 3 to 11 and half boys and girls.  In the end I decided on monsters(cute ones of course) and butterflies.

The afternoon went far better than I imagined! When the kids arrived I had the older ones decorate their cupcakes first so that they could help the younger ones.  The girls got right into it, surprising me by coming up with their own monster designs.  They then went on to create their own cupcakes without my supervision. I loved to see this creativity flourish!  How I wish I had this as a kid.  All of the kids stayed well until the afternoon, a few of them I had to kick out when it was dinner time (nicely of course).  The sound of the kids playing in my yard and in my house brought fond memories as a kid playing late in the street with all of the kids, in and out of each others houses.  A few of them sat and chatted to me for awhile.  My house was always an open house to kids growing up and I loved that and want the same for my kids.

Have a look at the kids creations and see what you think!







1 comment:

  1. they are great! you must have been stoked to see them take to it so confidently and competently... and what a cool idea, the parents must LOVE you today!

    ReplyDelete