Thursday 31 March 2011

Coffee cake to crave

Some days as a mum you reach the end of your day and you have failed in all aspects.  If it was a test you would have received a gigantic red F written in red across the top of the page.  Occasionally a day comes along though where you have had epic success and it seems to get you through those days of disaster.  Today has been one of those days!  It has been awhile since I have had one so I am feeling pretty good right now.  By 10 am this morning I had cleaned the house (vacuumed and bathrooms cleaned!), got a load of laundry done, kids and myself showered and dressed, managed to keep cool through tantrums, had a decent conversation on the phone with my mum and baked one of the yummiest coffee cakes.   Now I am putting my feet up after having a lovely morning sharing tales of motherhood over coffee and cake with one of my closest friends.

Now I didn't make just any cake to share with my friend.  I made only THE BEST coffee cake I have ever tasted.  This is a cake that has me waking at night craving its buttery goodness.  I have never ever been one to crave food until this cake came along.  Not even when I was pregnant. So be warned, if you try this at home it will not last long and will leave you wanting more.  When I knew my close friend was coming over for the morning I decided that this would have to be what I served as it has been a whole two weeks since I have had it!

In the US coffee cake is traditionally served for breakfast as us americans love our sweets in the morning, but this cake could really be an any time of day cake with one rule: It must be served with coffee.  I found this recipe off of Allrecipes but I have tweaked it quite a bit to make it my own.   You can see the original recipe at the following link: 


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter (115 g)
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk, or as needed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  •  
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter (55 g)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Make the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup oats, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cinnamon and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. rub or cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut or rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Crack an egg into a measuring cup and then fill add milk to make 1 cup. Stir in vanilla. Pour into crumb mixture and mix just until moistened. Spread into prepared pan.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes then take out and add streusel top and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.







4 comments:

  1. Some people have asked me how to post a comment. Select "Comment as" then select "Name/URL" if you do not have a blog that you write from. Then just put in your name (you can leave the URL blank), select preview or Post comment and follow the instructions at the bottom of the page. Hopefully this works! If anyone else knows, your advice for people would help! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling me how to post a comment! And thank you too for this wonderful blog! I look forward to every installment; keep the blogs coming.
    PS I'm not allowed to read the recipes at the moment 'cos I'm on a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most delicious cake!
    It help me get through this afternoon with a non sleeping child!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following your blog makes me want to bake everyday! Soon you'll need to post tips on how to work off the extra calories too ;-)

    ReplyDelete