Wednesday 30 March 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcake

When I was a kid I remember knowing most of the the people in the neighborhood.  We would often bring baking to the new neighbors, new mums and to people who needed a bit of cheer.  I was thinking about this the other day, realizing that I hardly know my neighbors.  Is this just me or do neighbors keep to themselves these days??  Determined to do something about this I have nominated my cupcakes to go to my neighbors who have recently had a baby.  I thought long and hard about what cupcake creation to make and decided that every new mum needs a good chocolate desert.  Even better yet, what about a chocolate chip cookie paired with a chocolate cupcake! Seriously! I saw a blog post for this awhile ago and have been excited to try it out.  So my experimental cupcake for the week is a chocolate cupcake with a chocolate chip cookie baked in the inside.  When you cut open the cupcake it reveals the surprise cookie inside. Genius whoever came up with this idea!

For the chocolate cupcake I used the same recipe I used for last weeks reeses cupcake and I used reserved batter from yesterdays cookie for the middle of the cake.  I filled one desert spoon of batter into the cupcake case then placed a small ball of the cookie on top, finishing it with another desert spoon of batter on top being careful not to fill the cupcake more than 2/3 full.

For the frosting I used a butter cream frosting (see below), drizzled it with chocolate sauce and sprinkled it with mini M&Ms.  These were definitely worth a try!

When you are a mum there are constant interuptions and today was no exception.  I got halfway through making these cupcakes when I had to leave them rest for awhile.  In the end I was cooking dinner and baking cupcakes at the same time.  My husband laughed when he walked in the door to see the mess.  He told me I was crazy to take on such a task.  Personally I was secretly proud of myself that I was able to pull both dinner and the cakes off and was relieved that I didnt mix up the recipes!

Butter Cream Frosting
1 1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (icing sugar)
1/2 T vanilla
pinch of salt
1 1/2 T lukewarm water

Directions
Cream the butter with a mixer until smooth.  Add the icing sugar 1/2 c at a time mixing until completely incorporated and smooth.  Mix in the vanilla and salt at a low speed until smooth and then add the water mixing until icing is fluffy.


4 comments:

  1. You've just made my choice for what I am going to take for one of the two events to which I need to take dessert to over the next week. Inspiration! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look amazing! DId your neighbor like them? wish i was there to try them myselves. i guess that means i have to try and make them. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! These are not good for a pregnant woman to be looking at.. i think I may need to make some. What a great idea lisa! I love that you brought them to your neighbor. It is really sad that we don't know the people who live next to us these days. Where is the sense of community? You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, you knew everyone in the neighborhood, because you had to say "Hello" to everyone in the neighborhood! Now you can do it with treats.

    ReplyDelete