Saturday 24 September 2011

Topsy Turvy Birdhouse Cake

My mother-in-law is an incredibly generous selfless woman so I knew I wanted to make her a special cake for her birthday.  She loves to garden and loves to feed the birds so I knew I wanted a birdhouse.  When my sister-in-law suggested a topsy turvy cake I decided to give it a try as I have always wanted to make one and have not gotten the chance. This cake has a bit of trick to it.  The top part looks as though it is sitting on top of the cake at an angle but it is actually sitting level on the bottom base which has been cut out to fit the top cake into it.  Once the cake was completed I went to bed stressing that the whole thing was going to collapse even though I knew that it was solid!  This cake was a strawberry mud cake and a banana mud cake with a chocolate butter cream and fresh strawberry filling.  The night was a fantastic night sharing a lovely roast dinner cooked by my father and sister-in-law, eating cake and watching the All-Blacks defeat France in a pool game of the rugby world cup.



1 comment:

  1. Believe me, it tasted as good as it looks! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete