Sunday 2 October 2011

Vintage Boat Cake

I had a big project last week.  I was asked to make a 30th birthday cake for a close family friend.  The cake was largely based on a painting of a vintage style boat with rolling waves and seagulls.  I immensely enjoyed creating this cake and was pretty pleased with how it turned out.  The biggest challenge of this cake was not in the making of it but in the transporting it.  The cake was to be shipped to Auckland and then get on a small pencil plane and fly to Great Barrier Island.  As you can imagine I was a little bit nervous about this! To package the cake I made sure the cake was on a board the same size as the box. I then taped a non-slip mat under the box and taped cellophane over the box so that the courier driver could clearly see that it was a cake.  When I sent it the cake was pretty solid and didn't seem to be going anywhere so I am hoping that it made it there safely.  I am yet to hear so when I find out I will let you know! 


2 comments:

  1. Any news yet on how the cake travelled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am told it traveled great! Drove two hours to Auckland by courier, on the plane, on gravel roads for an hour, in a ten minute boat trip and lastly up a steep hill to its destination. All in all a great test!

    ReplyDelete