Thursday 24 March 2011

White Chocolate Chip Scones

I knew from early on this morning that I would need a pick-me-up.   After being up most of the night with a sick baby and fighting a nasty cold myself my toddler decided it was the day to announce her independence!  Before 7:30 this morning she had thrown three separate tantrums.  After dressing her she decided that she wanted her pyjamas on over her clothes which resulted in a tantrum as I did not understand what she wanted.  She decided she wanted chocolate chip biscuits of which I did not have any in the house and she insisted on colouring outside with chalk and when I did not join her (a girl has got to have her coffee) she proceeded to wake the entire neighbourhood.  Oh good morning to me!

Fortunately my day did get better and now I am sitting down to enjoy my white chocolate chip scones that are not only so yummy but so quick and easy to make (which can be crucial when only getting a short break from the kids).  My friend Ben has been asking me for this recipe so I decided it was a good time to share it with all.

This recipe is definitely the one to pull out when wanting to make all the other mums from your baby group think you are super organised and have plenty of time to bake goodies.  Its so quick and easy that I find I often put it together 20 minutes before a playdate when I realise the cupboards are bare and I have nothing to offer my guests.

Ingredients
2 c self raising flour
2 T butter
1 T brown sugar
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup milk
cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F). Place a sheet of baking paper on top of baking sheet and lightly flour it.
2. In a large bowl stir together flour and brown sugar.  Rub in butter lightly with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in white chocolate.  Make a well in the centre and add the milk.  Gently mix until just combined.
3. Spoon mixture out onto lightly floured baking sheet and shape into a 1 inch thick rectangle.  Mixture will be sticky.  It can help to lightly sprinkle some flour on the top.  Cut the scones into 8 and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top.  (many people knead scones on a floured surface and then cut up but I find that doing it this way keeps scones from being too dense as the key to a good scone is not to over knead it.)
4. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Let cool slightly on wire rack before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment