Sunday 17 April 2011

Chefs Birthday cake

Ok so this goes down as probably my most stressful cake to date.  Largely due to poor time management.  I have learned many a lesson this weekend that will probably not be done again.

Lesson (1) Never ever say to yourself "this cake will be easy enough to finish tomorrow afternoon" and then leave it to the last minute.  I should know by now that this is the kiss of death.  Nothing is easy when you say it will be.

Lesson (2) Never let your 2 year old boycott sleep.   If she doesn't want to sleep make her stay in her room until she does.

Lesson (3) Never give your husband permission to go and start a building project knowing full well you have a cake to finish and you will need his help!

Lesson (4) Never try and decorate a cake while your two year old is awake.  It will be torture for you and torture for your child.  Seriously, how horrible is it for my child when I am decorating a cake and she cannot eat any of the yummy goodness that she sees!

In the end I was very pleased with the cake but was exhausted at having to tell my daughter "don't touch" about a 100 times.  By the end of the day she was crying and I nearly was too.  I think our neighbors must think this is a mad-house!

The chefs hat cake is three 6" round layers made for my sister-in-laws birthday.  The first layer is a chocolate mud, the second layer a mocha esspresso mud and the third layer is a white chocolate baileys mud.  All layers are iced with a chocolate fudge buttercream with baileys and esspresso added to it.   Everything you see is edible.




3 comments:

  1. That cake was amazing, Lisa! My diet wouldn't let me taste it but the looks of enjoyment on everyone's faces said it all. And as for the artistic content, those veges looked so, so real. Another brilliant creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING!!!! You spoilt me!!! That Baileys and White Chocolate layer was my favorite in the end, closely followed by the mocha. Hmmmm, so so so very yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing talent! Every veggie looks like the REAL thing! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete