Thursday 16 June 2011

Carrot Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing

I had great plans this week to make my cupcakes a special project for an important group of people but for the first time I will say I wasn't all together happy with this weeks cupcakes.  This was not the fault of the recipe either.  I made a crucial mistake to the cupcakes.

My daughter loves carrots and for the last couple of weeks the carrots I have been getting from the supermarket have been really good! I am not one to eat carrots on their own but these have been really sweet. So, I decided to make carrot cake and when I found this recipe with a white chocolate cream cheese icing I was looking forward to trying it.  Now I have never made carrot cake before and in fact I think I have only eaten it a handful of times but I do remember liking it.  When it came time to make the cupcakes I realised I hadn't purchased walnuts in my shop.  It was too late to get them and I was already half way through making the cupcakes.  I figured to myself that surely they don't need walnuts.  I often will leave walnuts out of my baking to save on cost and it usually doesn't matter too much. WELL, I was very wrong.  I took one bite of the cupcake and knew that walnuts are one of the most important components of a carrot cake.  The cake tasted great but every single bite I was just hoping and expecting for that extra texture that walnuts bring to a carrot cake.  This is coming from someone who has hardly eaten it so you can imagine I was not really wanting to give these cupcakes away this week in case I got a die-hard carrot cake fan!

I did share them with my grandparents and my husband was more than happy to have them as you can imagine.  He did say as well though that he kept expecting the walnut crunch and never got it.  I will say that this recipe will be very worth it if you do put the walnuts in because the cake itself was beautiful and the icing is divine, just please remember the walnuts.

To see this recipe go to:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/carrot-cupcakes-with-white-chocolate-cream-cheese-icing/detail.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Hehehe...just makes the rest of us sigh with relief that you make mistakes in baking too :-)

    ReplyDelete