Sunday 19 June 2011

French Toast for my dad

Happy Fathers Day to my wonderful Dad.  Its not fathers day here so my poor dad often gets forgotten as here fathers day is around September sometime.  So when he reminded me yesterday that it was fathers day I knew I had to do a little tribute to him!  

My dad is a pretty incredible guy.  I feel pretty blessed to be landed with such an awesome father! He is a very hard working, honest man with a great sense of humor.  You have to have one to father 5 children where the 3 oldest are girls!  He only had a brother growing up so he did surprisingly well to handle a large population of girls in the household.  He did have his moments but you really have to give him credit!  I certainly do.  

As I said yesterday my dad has a thing about breakfast.  His specialty has always been french toast although lately he has started making omelets as well.  The thing about my dads french toast is that it really cannot be beaten.  So much so that I very rarely order french toast in a restaurant because I know I will probably be disappointed. Whenever I am home I don't feel as though my trip has been completed until Dad has made his french toast.  Now I don't know what his recipe is, he has kept it a secret.  I do know that he does make it heavy handed on the salt and this last time I saw him I learned that he cuts the bread up the night before and lays it out on a cooling rack so that the bread is nice and stale in the morning. This is pretty key to french toast.   

So, I braved it this morning and attempted to make my own french toast.  I picked the top rated french toast recipe.  Thousands have rated it as very popular.  Normally when I choose a recipe like this it is pretty right.  Today, it was good.  But, it wasn't dads.  Do I recommend you try this recipe?  Of course!  Will it taste like my dads?  Most definitely not.  You will have to visit him to try it. 

If you do make this recipe make sure you whisk the batter each time you dip the bread in as the flour tends to settle at the bottom.  This recipe can be found at:




1 comment:

  1. Shall I come over and you can make it for me and I'll judge ;-) Nar, really, I'd just love to have French Toast on a week morning--go you for doing it on a Monday!!!

    ReplyDelete