Wednesday 29 June 2011

S'mores cupcakes

I want to be able to share these cupcakes with EVERYONE this week.  I would have too, but before I knew it I had eaten half of the batch! I kept telling myself I was doing taste tests to make sure they tasted ok but really, I couldn't get enough of these babies.

S'mores are a classic treat eaten around a campfire.  Graham crackers, roasted marshmallow and a small bit of chocolate are sandwiched together to create something wonderful and leaving you wanting some more (hence the name).  Because I am loving graham crackers this week and because I love cupcakes I searched the web for S'mores cupcakes.   I was wanting a cupcake that tasted like a graham cracker but the only ones I could find called for actual graham crackers as replacement for the flour.  I was disapointed with this option as I knew it would leave the cupcake too dry and probably a bit heavy so I decided to invent my own.   This is the first cupcake recipe I have actually invented and I will have to say I am super pleased with the results!  I used a vanilla cupcake recipe as the base and then modified it with ingredients found in the homemade graham crackers I made the other day.  On top of the cupcake I put a dark chocolate ganache and then placed a large marshmallow on the top.  I then placed the cupcakes under the broiler and the marshmallows turned gooey and soft and the chocolate melted into the cupcake creating a yummy chocolatey mess, which is what essentially a s'more is! Not to mention so so good.  These are best served right after being placed under the broiler otherwise you may want to heat them before serving.  

This weeks cupcakes go to a single mum of four kids who has been struggling with a bad illness recently.  Being a single mum must be hard enough but having to raise your kids when you can hardly care for yourself must be incredibly difficult.  I find it hard enough when I have a bad cold and I have my husband at home to help me!  

Ingredients
1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup milk
Dark chocolate ganache
12 large marshmallows

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).  Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
2.  In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter for 8-10 minutes.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.  Combine flours and baking powder and set aside.  Whisk together honey, milk and vanilla.  Add the flour and baking powder mixture to the creamed mixture alternating with the honey and milk mixture until all just combined.  Be careful not to overmix. Spoon batter with an icecream scoop into each liner.  
3.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes.  Cake is done when it springs back to touch. 
4.  Spoon the chocolate ganache over the cupcakes (for this recipe go to: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html)
5. Place marshmallow on the cupcakes and place under the broiler.  Watch carefully.  When the marshmallows are golden, the cupcakes are done!







1 comment:

  1. I'm sitting in front of an open fire now wishing I was eating your cupcakes!!!

    ReplyDelete