Tuesday 12 July 2011

8 years with my husband!

Where has the time gone?  Ten and a half years ago I met my husband and eight years ago we said I do.  He is my best friend and I am still as crazy about him now, even more than I was back then.  We have done so much in 8 years, worked and travelled around the world, renovated a house, had two kids, gone through several different jobs.  Each new thing has always brought about a new obstacle or challenge but we both have met it head on and overcome it.  I feel a little sad when people say 'good job' for getting to eight years because so often marriages don't make it past seven years.  To me, 'good job' will be when we have been married for 50 years and can still joke and laugh with one another and can still sit at the table after dinner and talk about our day, our fears and our dreams and still be a team.  The day that we stop working at communicating, working at putting each other before our kids and our jobs and working at loving one another is when we stop doing a 'good job' and I don't ever want to get to that place.  I love you babe and I look forward to many more years together.

For our anniversary I made my husband a cake.  This cake is of a hockey puck with the USA hockey team logo on it.  We both share a love of ice hockey and ironically there is very little ice hockey in New Zealand.  Unless you live in a big city or down in the south island it is virtually non-existent.  So you can imagine our excitement when we found out that USA and Canada were coming to play each other in New Zealand!  The game happens to be in a couple of weeks so we have been looking forward to it as a post anniversary date! We are going All-American to this game and will be sporting our ice hockey jerseys proudly.

This cake is a chocolate guinness mudcake with a baileys buttercream filling and a dark chocolate whiskey ganache.  Definitely not a cake for the kids and boy was it yummy!







1 comment:

  1. As the babysitters for their anniversary night out, who were paid in slices of this cake, I can say, the cake tasted absolutely fantastic

    ReplyDelete