Friday 8 July 2011

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes

I have never been a huge fan of beer, that is until I was pregnant.  Suddenly I was craving beer in the middle of the night.  I think that the ultimate rebel was coming out in me wanting something I knew I couldn't have when pregnant.  My close girlfriend is nearing the end of her pregnancy of twins so I knew I had to make special cupcakes for her this week, so I thought what better than the pairing of beer and chocolate!  

I got the inspiration to make these cupcakes one morning this week after dropping my daughter off at kindy.  So off I went to the supermarket with my baby under my arms, looking half put together (as you usually do after the morning kindy run) and picked up a four pack of Guinness and a pack of nappies.  I think I must have looked like an alcoholic this early in the morning buying alcohol.  What's worse is that I had to complain about the price being wrong and bring it to the attention of several shoppers and checkout ladies that I was buying beer at 9am(Guinness is expensive and it was saving me $3!).  I suddenly felt the need to explain that I was baking.  I had to laugh too as it was the first time in a long time I wasn't ID'd.  Hmmm, I must have looked bad.

The cupcakes were pretty easy to put together and the icing was pretty good too although I tend to prefer a good old fashioned buttercream icing so I also made a batch of chocolate buttercream with a bit of coffee added to it to go on some.  You barely taste the Guinness, especially once the icing is on top and if anything the beer only enhances the taste of the chocolate.  I think next time I would try a recipe with baileys in the icing and maybe a whiskey ganache centre.  A bit too much maybe?  I abstained this time though due to the fact that these went to my pregnant friend.  This recipe made a ton of cupcakes so I also shared them around with my husbands workmates and to some special mums that attend the Friday session at my daughters playcentre.  Everyone seemed to really like them so I definitely recommend trying them!  If you are out buying Guinness I also recommending making the Beer Bread I posted in May with a bottle of guinness.  You will not regret it and I guarantee it will be the best bread you have ever tasted!!!

You can find this recipe on food.com: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/chocolate-stout-cupcakes-recipe/index.html


1 comment:

  1. And I agree 100% on Lisa's verdict; I was one of her huband's workmates who tried the cupcakes and they were beautiful - quite morish actually. I confess I had one...or two...or three...ummm, let's leave it that shall we! Let's just say, I didn't stick to my diet. And I didn't eat them all at once; I spent the day eating them!

    ReplyDelete