Tuesday 28 June 2011

Homemade Graham Crackers

I'm on a graham cracker kick this week.  One of the American classics that I occasionally come to miss.  Especially when I get a hankering for s'mores or a cheesecake.  For those who don't know what a graham cracker is, its a honey flavoured biscuit with a cracker crunch, similar to a digestive or a wheaten biscuit.  Its often used as the base for cheesecakes and is one of the main ingredients for S'mores.  Its also a great snack for kids.  I remember eating it when I got home from school with butter or peanut butter smeared on top of it.

It occured to me last week that surely there must be a recipe for graham crackers so I searched the web and sure enough, I found a winner!  These graham crackers taste so similar to the real thing and surprisingly easy to make.  The link makes them sound somewhat complicated but they are easier to make than they sound. You can make them into rectangles to look similar to the real graham crackers (pictured below) or you could do what I did and cut them into shapes.  My daughter was able to help me with this.  While I cut the shapes out she stuck them on the tray and sprinkled the cinnamon and sugar on them.  She loved doing this and surprised me by placing the shapes into individual groups.  These crackers did not last long and even my six month old loved eating them.

You can find this recipe on this link: http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/graham-crackers/






No comments:

Post a Comment