Tuesday 5 April 2011

Snickerdoodles

Baking with a toddler can be hugely messy and today was no exception. Every time I turned around my daughter was dipping her fingers into the flour, cinnamon, sugar, cookie dough, whatever she could get her fingers in for a taste.  I am starting to worry that I am creating a sugar addict and may need to start adding savory items to my list as surely all this sugar is not  healthy! At least I can say that what sugary treats she does eat are from scratch.

Today our special project was snickerdoodles which are an American classic. These cookies are a sugary almost cake-like cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar. The simplicity of these biscuits are what make them so good.  Even better still, did you know that cinnamon was good for you? There are tons of health benefits from eating cinnamon, so I dont feel so guilty letting my daughter dip into these.

I found this particular recipe off of allrecipes and it was a hit!  They were so good and a little too addictive I might add.  This recipe does call for shortening which I have had difficulty in finding in New Zealand so butter can be substituted easily in the recipe.  

So often when doing a project with my daughter I want to jump in and correct or fix things for her to make them perfect.  Why do I do that?  She was adament in rolling the cookies herself, putting them in the cinnamon and sugar and then placing them on the tray.  To avoid conflict and to encourage her I had to accept that the quality of some of the biscuits would be lacking and that was ok.  The best part is that they all tasted the same anyway.

This recipe can be found at:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/mrs-siggs-snickerdoodles/Detail.aspx





1 comment:

  1. What a great way to keep your daughter entertained and teach her the joy of baking. She'll never forget these times. And those snickerdoodles look great!

    ReplyDelete