Tuesday 12 April 2011

Molasses Cookies

Food can have the ability to bring up strong memories of your childhood, places visited, certain people important to you and so much more.  The times I have felt most homesick have been when I haven't been able to obtain a specific ingredient to make a recipe that brings me somewhat closer to home.  On one particularly emotional Christmas for me I burst into tears in the supermarket when I realized I couldn't purchase corn syrup to make my mums famous Christmas peanut brittle.  I don't think the grocer knew quite what to do.

Today I was thinking about my Grandparents in the US and how I wished they could see my kids growing up and wish my kids could get to know them.  I decided to hit the recipe books with Ella and make my Grandpas favorite molasses cookies, a recipe my Grandma gave me several years ago.

Molasses is probably my favorite ingredient to bake with.  The thick strong syrup has a beautiful rich dark color and a very distinct smell.  Its one of those ingredients you are either in love with or you hate.  I love it.  My husband hates it.  My daughter seemed to like it and kept saying it was "spicy". I only just recently found molasses in the supermarkets here so this is the first time I have made these cookies and they instantly brought me back to my grandparents house around the holidays.  What special times these were. The cookie is the perfect chewiness and I love the subtle salty taste to it.

Ingredients
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
2 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Directions
Cream together shortening, sugar, egg and molasses.  Sift together dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture.  Mix well and chill for at least an hour.  Form into 1" balls and roll in sugar.  Place 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C for 10-12 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment