Tuesday 19 April 2011

Sugar cookies

For my daughters birthday last year I made a bunch of sugar cookies to look like cookie monster.  I went into the job thinking it would be easy but the actual making of the biscuits, rolling them out, cutting them out and then frosting was far too tedious of a job for what they are.  A cookie maker I was not and there was no way I would be making rolled, cut out biscuits again.  Well I am eating my words and today I decided I would be tackling this once again.  There have been a few blogs I have come across lately that showcase beautifully decorated cookies.  I have become excited about this and am determined to add this to my repertoire of treats.  Check out www.sweetopia.net to see what I am talking about and to see tutorials on decorating.

The recipe I use for sugar cookies is a really nice soft biscuit that is not too sweet and perfect for decorating or just eating on its own.   It does have to be refrigerated for an hour before rolling out so it is good to plan ahead.  I made sure I had my cookie dough made ahead so that when my daughter woke from her mid-day sleep she could help me cut them out.  I think she spent most of the time eating the cookie dough.  While the biscuits were cooling I made up royal icing ready to try my hand at decorating! I gave my girl a paint brush to paint her own biscuits and away I went.  

I tend to try and jump six steps of my abilities and sometimes this can really go against me.  I often skip learning the basics and then spend so much time playing catch up later on.  This was one of those times.  I had great intentions of drawing pictures of eggs and bunnies on these biscuits to make them an easter theme.  Instead my pictures looked like weird warped balls and crazy bunnies.  In the end I realized I wasn't quite ready for this and ended up doing flowers. 

Overall I was happy with the cookies but I may try and search for another icing recipe. The one I found was ok but I am not a huge fan of the lemon essence in it so I might keep looking or may try vanilla next time.  

For the sugar cookie recipe go to: 




2 comments:

  1. how do people nominate people for your cupcakes??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just send me a message and the reason (if the reason is too personal it could be that they are going through a hard time, etc) The point of it is to really brighten someone's day who needs it or deserves it.

    ReplyDelete