Wednesday 27 April 2011

Apple Pie Cupcakes

My love of baking stems from a very early age when I would spend holidays in the kitchen with my Great Grandma helping her make apple pie.  She would always let me make my own little pie with her left over crust.  I can still taste my own little homemade pie and how proud of it I was.  I think thats why I love having my daughter help me with my baking now. Over the years I have made many pies and when my husband and I were dating I impressed him with my apple pie.  For some reason or another I have not made one since.  My husband is convinced I tricked him into thinking he would have a life of homemade pies.  One day I will start making them again but for now he will have to live with cupcakes.  Its a hard life for him.

For this reason and because im into apples this week I thought I would mix a cupcake with an apple pie.  I found inspiration from the blog site Annie's Eats: http://annies-eats.net/2008/09/26/apple-pie-cupcakes/
I love her idea of cutting out a cone shape from the cupcake with a paring knife and putting apple pie filling into it.  I then used a combination of different recipes to create my own apple pie cupcake combination.  For the cupcake recipe I used a brown sugar and cinnamon cupcake and replaced a third of the butter with applesauce to give it a more apple flavor.  For the filling I found an AMAZING apple pie filling (and I do mean amazing).  This recipe is for a huge amount of apples so that you can freeze a large amount of the filling but I simply scaled the recipe down to the amount of apples I had on hand.  To do this change the number of servings you need and Allrecipes will do the calculation for you.  For the icing I used my buttercream icing and added cinnamon and nutmeg to it.  I then made little apples out of pastry and brushed melted butter and cinnamon and sugar on them and then baked them in the oven for 180 degrees C for 10 minutes.

There really isn't too much to say about these cupcakes other than WOW.  These are good.  I may be inspired to make pies again after these.  (Do not tell my husband I said this though as he may get his hopes up!) Its a very good thing I am giving these away because I might be waking in the middle of the night for a midnight snack.

These cupcakes are going to a couple that my husband and I have gotten to know in the last couple of years.  The husband has been hugely involved in organizing my husbands hockey team which is a big commitment on his part and also a huge commitment from his wife.  They have had a roller coaster of a year and I thought that these cupcakes were long overdue.

Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Recipe:
75g butter softened
50g applesauce (if you do not have applesauce you can replace it with butter)
3/4 c brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, sifted
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.  Cream butter, brown sugar and vanilla for about 10-12 minutes with an electric mixer.  Add applesauce and beat for another 2-3 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and milk and beat until just combined.  Spoon into 12 cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For the stewed apples recipe go to: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Pie-Filling/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

For the buttercream frosting add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to my previously listed vanilla buttercream icing.











3 comments:

  1. I am seriously craving these now. Its a shame I can't send Josh down to the supermarket to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I made these cupcakes for grandma and grandpa the other night, since apple and cinnamon are grandpa's favorites, and they were amazing!!! So good! A lot of work, i'm more of a one step process girl but it was worth it! Grandma and grandpa brought some to Wichita with them and the family loved them! Thanks for the idea!! Up next, Zebra cake! :) miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great Jill! I heard they were a hit. :) Zebra cake is much less work but just as impressive. wish I could have tried them. xx

    ReplyDelete