Thursday 14 April 2011

First attempt at cake pops

I felt really bad last week as a close friend of mine had a birthday dinner I had to miss because I was making cakes.  I wanted to make it up to her and decided to have a go at making cake pops, a concept that has been made incredibly popular by Bakerella. If you don't know what I am talking about check out http://www.bakerella.com/.  The idea of putting a ball of cake on a lollipop stick and then cover it in chocolate is really quite brilliant so I am not surprised that it has gotten so much publicity.  I wish I had thought of it first!  It is the perfect small bite of cake that you need.  Enough to satisfy your taste buds.

Cake pops look really easy to make.  All they are is left over cake processed up and mixed with leftover icing.  I had both from the mocha espresso cupcakes so away I went and rolled the mixture into little balls then placed in the freezer to set. I then melted down Nestle white chocolate melts.  I placed a lollipop stick into the cake with a little bit of the white chocolate on it to help keep it on the stick and then attempted to dip the pops in the white chocolate.  I was full of confidence at this stage until I actually dipped the pops in the white chocolate.  It was all down hill from here.  I kept loosing the cake off of the stick and in the end had to spread the chocolate around the cake ball rather then dip it.  It took me awhile but they did look somewhat decent in the end but I am not sure I will be attempting this again any time soon.  It will take a little bit of practice to perfect I think.

2 comments:

  1. They were AMAZING as well as cute, thank you so much. I struggled to share them with Josh, but I did xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete