Saturday 9 April 2011

Island themed wedding cake

When I heard my cousin was having a wedding reception but didn't have a wedding cake sorted I jumped at the opportunity to make the cake.  I hadn't made a wedding cake before but felt I could do it and just needed the opportunity.  The bride and groom left the design of the cake up to me which I was excited about as I love coming up with the concept for the cake. The reception was being held on a lake and was a casual ordeal as the actual wedding was a private function a week earlier so I knew I didn't want the cake to be a traditional wedding cake.  The couple live and work on a resort island in Australia so I decided to make the cake an island theme.

I was very pleased with how the cake turned out and came together.  The bottom tier was a white chocolate caramel mud cake with a toffee filling.  The middle tier was a white chocolate lemon poppyseed mudcake with a passionfruit filling and the top tier was made of rice crispie treats.

The biggest challenge I had was transporting the cake!  The reception was two hours a way so you could say I was a little nervous about how I was going to get the cake there.  My husband with his kiwi-ingenuity saved the day though and the cake arrived after driving windy roads and through road works completely unaffected.

No comments:

Post a Comment