Friday 15 April 2011

Easter Eggs

I so often underestimate my toddler and her abilities.  Most of the time she has a very limited attention span and can really only spend 15 minutes on a task.  Because of this reason I was certain she was not quite ready to color easter eggs this year but I decided to give it a go anyway.  She proved me so wrong! From the moment we boiled the eggs to the hiding and then finding of the eggs she was completely  entertained! When daddy got home that night she raced to the fridge to show him the last of her eggs that had not been consumed.  She was so proud of herself.  I even managed to get her to eat something that was healthy and not full of sugar without a fight!  

I have great memories of coloring eggs as a kid.  I remember using the little packs you could buy around easter that came with the special spoons and the food coloring.  I'm sure you could still buy these somewhere but I was certain it was easy enough to do it without them.  Fortunately I talked to my sister first and she informed me that vinegar had to be added to the water and food coloring.  I found this really helpful link that has the recipe for coloring easter eggs as well as some great tips including natural dyes.  http://allrecipes.com//HowTo/dyeing-easter-eggs/Detail.aspx  If you are finding your kids are getting bored this next week give coloring eggs a try and then have a big easter egg hunt (who says it needs to be limited to easter)!  Its a great way to spend quality time together. 










1 comment: