Tuesday 26 April 2011

Oatmeal Apple Cookies

Day five of rain and we are all feeling a little housebound.  Today was definitely a day for baking as there was no way I was venturing out with my two babes in this weather.  After all the chocolate and unhealthy goodness over Easter weekend I was not really prepared to make what I was really wanting to make.  So a healthy cookie I went in search of.  I'm on an apple kick this week so when I came across Oatmeal Apple Cookies I knew these would be worth a try.

These biscuits are full of oats, raisins, apples and even walnuts if you choose.  To make them healthier I replaced half of the shortening with homemade applesauce.  If you don't have shortening available you can replace it with vegetable oil.  They were super easy to make and looking at the recipe I decided it was worth the risk of doubling this batch as these could be good cookies to have on hand frozen.

My first impression of these cookies were that they were more of a muffin top then a cookie.  They were very chewy and had a really nice cinnamon and raisin flavor with the nice surprise of apple. Personally though I am not crazy about them.  In fact I was a little disappointed.  I think I would prefer less oats and maybe more flour next time as I think I would have preferred them a bit softer than chewy.  I was hugely surprised though when my husband tried one and absolutely loved them and I'm guessing my daughter loved them two as I caught her trying to sneak them twice this afternoon.  Maybe I'm not really much of an oat girl?

This recipe can be found at Food.com:
http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-apple-cookies-30981





Add caption

1 comment:

  1. Funny, today was a "try new things with oats" day too. I ground them into a powder in my food processor and added them to my blueberry smoothie for breakfast. I had last night's River Cottage episode on my mind: http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/banana-oat-thickie/

    ReplyDelete