Tuesday 3 May 2011

Amish Oatmeal Whoopie Pie Cookies

So I have had whoopie pies on the mind lately. It seems to be one of the latest food trends and I have been reading about them everywhere.  The enticing thing about these indulgent treats is that they can be anything you want them to be. They can be a pie, a cupcake, a cookie, whatever you feel like calling them you can.  Yummy cake like treats that are more like biscuits, sandwiched together with creamy goodness between them.

I have been wanting to make these for several weeks now and had great plans for today.  I was pretty devastated when I went to my cupboard to find that I didn't have enough cocoa.  I had already braved the shops once today with two kids and was not prepared to do it again so I went online to search for an alternative whoopie pie recipe.  I knew immediately that I would be making these Oatmeal Whoopie Pie Cookies when I saw them.

When I was a kid we lived around the corner from a dairy (convenience store) and every time I could rummage up spare change I would walk to the dairy and would buy tons of treats but occasionally would purchase Little Debbies Oatmeal pies.  These were soft chewy oatmeal biscuits sandwiched with a sweat cream in the centre. I think I probably would eat an entire box in nearly one sitting.

These whoopie pie cookies are definitely a recreation of the Little Debbies Oatmeal pies that I loved as a kid but probably sweeter and richer.  I definitely liked them but next time I would make the cookies smaller as you don't need many of these.  I would also only cook them only 13-14 minutes so that they are soft and chewy.  The filling is runny but you don't need much of it and it does set pretty well.  I'm not too sure why wrap them in glad wrap but I did anyway.  Maybe it keeps them soft?

I've been playing around with lighting and my camera to get better photos.  I need to make my own lightbox but thought I would try out using a shelf we have in our lounge.  With the lighting right it might just work.

To see the recipe go to Food.com: http://www.food.com/recipe/amish-oatmeal-whoopie-pie-cookies-118749



No comments:

Post a Comment