Tuesday 31 May 2011

Lemon Kiwifruit Bread

I have this thing about kiwifruit.  I love buying it and I love the idea of eating it but for some reason it sits in our fridge uneaten until it has gone off.  I do like it and I come from a family with a strong history in kiwifruit so you would think I would eat alot of it but I just don't.  Fortunately my daughter LOVES kiwifruit so it does get eaten however I went a bit crazy and bought too much kiwifruit recently so I was determined to find a recipe to use them so that they didn't go off.  

I searched the web for all sorts of kiwifruit recipes and wasn't really able to find anything I liked the look of.   I had an abundance of lemons leftover from last weeks recipe so I decided on revising a lemon blueberry bread recipe by replacing the blueberries with kiwifruit.

My daughter loved making this bread as I have learned her favorite thing to do while baking is zesting a lemon.  She kept licking the lemons and saying "tasty".  I had a hard time keeping her from eating all of the kiwifruit as well.  I am just glad she is no longer wearing nappies (diapers).

Overall the bread is pretty good although I can't really put my finger on what didn't sit right with me.  I still can't explain it.  My husband really liked it but I am beginning to think he likes anything sweet!  I did use the gold kiwifruit and next time I think I would use the traditional kiwifruit as it has a much tartier flavour.  I also think that this would work much better as a muffin as most of the kiwifruit sunk to the bottom of the bread.  The bread itself was beautifully moist and had a beautiful lemon flavour.  It was even better the next day. To be honest once blueberries are in season I would love to try the recipe as written as I think it would be incredibly good.

To see this recipe go to allrecipes:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Blueberry-Bread/Detail.aspx?prop31=1
replace the 1 cup of blueberries with 1 cup of kiwifruit.






2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it would make a good breakfast loaf--I adore lemon loaf :-) How did it go baking a it in silicone bakeware?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not bad actually. I don't own a loaf pan thats not silicone. Will get there one day. So much I could buy! :)

    ReplyDelete