Friday 13 May 2011

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

I am seriously frustrated right now.  I have been trying to post this particular blog for several days with no luck as the blogger website has been down.  Technology.  You love it and hate it.  

When I was younger my dessert of choice was lemon meringue pie.   I loved lemon meringue pie.  The beautiful creamy tartness of the lemon curd topped with a sweet and light meringue.  Perfection.  Now its a dessert very rarely seen on the menus.  I think it probably hit its popularity in the 90s and hasn't really made a comeback.  There is a new meringue back in town and its in the form of cupcakes.  Lemon Meringue Pie cupcakes.  

I started with a beautiful moist and light lemon cupcake.  These cupcakes are beautiful and are great even on their own.  I may even be tempted to use them in place of a vanilla cupcake, they are that good.  I then made a lemon curd, cheating a little by making it in the microwave.   I filled the cupcakes with the lemon curd by placing the metal tip of my piping bag into the cupcake and squeezing it so that it filled the cupcake.  Finally I topped the cupcake with a meringue, finishing it off under the broiler for 2-3 minutes and placed a tiny lemon wedge made out of fondant on top. 

Now these cupcakes sound hard work and they are a little time consuming but they are a pretty impressive little package.  They are good but I will say they are not jaw droppingly amazing as I was hoping.  This was because of one very crucial mistake I made and I do believe if corrected these will be incredible!  Rather then filling the cupcake I should have cut a dome out of the cupcake and spooned the lemon curd into it as I was wanting a much bigger bite of the lemon curd.  

The cupcakes this week were nominated by cool bananas (http://www.coolbananas.org.nz/).  In order to do the work they do with children they require the help of many volunteers.  One particular lady Jackie has been a wonderful blessing to them giving up part of her holidays to cook for the kids at their camp.  

For the recipe for the lemon cupcakes go to:

For the microwave lemon curd recipe go to:

For the meringue recipe follow the instructions on this blog for the meringue part (you could also follow the whole recipe if you like for the cupcakes and the curd):




No comments:

Post a Comment